We would like to formally announce the arrival of Xonotic – A free (GPL), fast-paced first-person shooter that works on Microsoft Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. Xonotic is a direct successor of the Nexuiz Project.
Xonotic came about in the wake of recent troublesome changes to the Nexuiz project, changes that have left many of the core contributors and community members feeling that the project has been mishandled. As a result, we felt the need to organize a departure to start with a clean slate.
Xonotic will place focus on the things we love about Nexuiz, and extend our goals to become the game that many thought Nexuiz should have been.
While technically being a direct successor of Nexuiz, the Xonotic project is a rethink of the Nexuiz project that recognizes the community around it as its principal driving force and will restructure itself to respect that. This means that there will never be a single person with total control over the project. In addition to the stronger focus on the community, Xonotic will also pursue a clearer agenda including the following:
- A new set of player models and animations
- A new set of sounds
- New music
- Default maps will get a makeover
- New stronger bot AI
- New names for weapons and gamemodes (especially ones using the “nex” prefix)
- Low quality content will be dropped and replaced with higher quality ones
- Use of GIT versioning system instead of SVN
- Better attention to marketing and public relations
- A more defined artistic direction
- More emphasis on recruiting
- Better organization of contributors
- More focus on community activities (tournaments, contests, etc)
- More frequent releases
- Global player stats tracking system, supporting anonymous player as well
While we don’t have a specific timeline for the first release under the new title, you can track the progress and updates on our website, on twitter , facebook and in IRC: #xonotic on irc.quakenet.org
Please visit our FAQ page for more detailed information about this project.
We look forward to creating a game that everyone can feel a part of. You are very much welcome to help in any way you can. We appreciate all of your support.
The Xonotic team.